Protein in meat vs Beyond Burger
* This week's note reviews a study that examined meat vs fake meat (Beyond Burger).
* Other studies have looked at the nutritional profile of meat vs the plant substitute. This study went a step further by looking at the effect of the two items once digested.
* The aim of the study was to compare the post-meal digestive response of four different single foods (lamb, pasture-raised beef, grain-finished beef, and Beyond Burger). The study was mainly focused on protein and the amino acids that protein provides.
* The study involved 30 young healthy men and thus may not be generalisable to the general population.
* The main findings were that Beyond Burger produced significantly lower plasma concentrations of total, essential, branched chain, and non-proteogenic amino acids than the lamb, pasture, or grain-finished beef.
* There were some study design issues, which were unfortunate as otherwise this was an important and interesting paper.
The rest of this article is available to site members, who get access to all articles plus a weekly newsletter.
To continue reading, please login below or sign up for a membership. Thank you.