13 Responses to “Eating breakfast can cut heart attack risk – puh-lease!”

You want to make a comment?

Then please do so openly and politely and no hiding behind some pseudonym. As for spam, well that's just another word for junk and it will end up in the bin, where it belongs.

1. avatar Rob Blundell says:

Well done Zoe, as usual a blaster of a response.
    Such is the order of the day embellishments on the thinnest of evidence.
    People should be shot for such balderdash!

Ensures I keep sharing the cards & lifestyle education.
    Love to you both R&G xx

2. avatar Martin Dace says:

My suspicion is that they got the results mixed up.

Smoking ages people. By the time smokers are my age (61) they look OLD. I cannot believe that such a small age difference between the groups would cancel out the effect of smoking.

It just doesn’t make any sense.

At best there may be some other variable that they have not controlled for.

3. avatar Perry Poole says:

Thank you Zoe!

4. avatar Catherine says:

On the subject of heart disease, on Daybreak this morning (29th July), a woman was being interviewed who was unfortunate enough to develop heart disease in her thirties, and was found to have a 99% blocked artery. She’d been suffering chest pains and arm pain for a while, but thought that it was because she wasn’t fit enough (she was already what I’d call a gym bunny)and pushed herself even harder. It wasn’t made clear how she eventually found out what the problem was, but she was fitted with a stent. She was a slim person, who ate what is still perceived as a healthy, balanced diet, and exercised regularly, so of course the point was that she was “unusual” in that she wasn’t overweight and unfit but had still got heart disease. To me, this howls that obesity and perceived lack of fitness are associations with heart disease, not causes, but this is never suggested. Why would a woman who is the complete antithesis of what we are told WILL cause heart disease become a sufferer herself? We were also told she wasn’t a smoker, and didn’t drink to excess. What wasn’t established was why she had developed heart disease at such a young age.

I thoroughly enjoyed your dissection of the breakfast nonsense, Zoe – when will they learn??!

5. avatar jake3_14 says:

As usual, Zoe, well done!

6. avatar Mark says:

Thanks for the review, I’ve been wanting to look at this study myself.

7. avatar Kelly Dean says:

In a Twitter, Facebook, Instagram world, even the news media doesn’t bother to check the veracity of their facts, just the trends — please. They take it on faith that these people know what they’re talking about. Besides, they are merely reporting what someone said. That’s only marginally irresponsible, right? I should know, I am in the media. I am also one of those people who have lost over 100 pounds in my lifetime.

8. avatar Chris Bennett says:

It seems like we face an impossible task trying to convince people what is a healthy diet and lifestyle when the media are against us and just blatantly lie. Its lying or poor reporting. The best we can try to do is give people the information and lead by example. Unfortunately some people think because I keep my carbs low I am the loon.

9. avatar Kenny says:

Thanks for analyzing the study for us all. It sounded crazy when I first heard it. I appreciate your detailed breakdown of it.

But what if you eat red meat for breakfast? :-)

10. avatar Tom Welsh says:

Why can’t scientists be imprisoned or fined for this kind of blatant falsification?

11. avatar Keith Hulme says:

Thanks for the expose Zoe. Do you have any meaningful way to challenge the media ditectly? You said you were recently invited to comment on the Salford takeaway issue so you must be ‘connected’. Dr John Briffa has an occasional item in the Times. Do you have anything similar? The media seem to be largely believed. Do they (the media) believe what they write? Are they just reflecting the opinions of the ‘experts’ ? Gary Taubes managed to get a couple of ‘controversial’ articles on fat and sugar in the New York Times, so there must be scope for an alternative voice in the UK media. Maybe more networking needed?
    Keep up the good work. I always appreciate your blogs, just wish you could write more!
    Kind regards

12. avatar Peter Lawton says:

Daft. Don’t these guys have any idea how silly they look, producing such LOUD pronunciations from such thin differences, and then back-to-front. Somebody must have motivated them.

8 + = 16