Heart healthy diets
* In 2021, the American Heart Association (AHA) issued a scientific statement setting out 10 key principles of a heart healthy diet.
* A paper has been published which judged 10 diets for how well they meet the 10 AHA criteria.
* The 10 diets were: DASH; Mediterranean style; pescetarian; vegetarian; vegan; low fat; very low fat; low carbohydrate; paleo and very low carbohydrate. Some of these diets had objective definitions; other had subjective definitions.
* The AHA principles assumed that animal foods were bad and plant foods were good, fat was bad, and carbs were good etc. As a result, inevitably DASH, Mediterranean, pescetarian, vegetarian and vegan diets scored well. Very low carb and Paleo diets scored badly.
* Assumptions are everything when things are being judged. The assumptions were wrong and thus the study conclusions were wrong. I repeated the exercise assuming that we should eat essential nutrients and knowing in which foods these are found and the results were quite different.
The rest of this article is available to site members, who get access to all articles plus a weekly newsletter.
To continue reading, please login below or sign up for a membership. Thank you.