* In an effort to address general, and specifically childhood, obesity, the government in England has proposed restrictions on promotions of foods deemed unhealthy.
* The restrictions would limit instore and online promotions of certain foods to try to reduce consumption of these.
* Products targeted include confectionery, cakes, biscuits, ice cream, soft drinks and sugary breakfast cereals among many other items.
* Kellogg’s use cartoon characters to advertise to children. Market analysts have forecast that these restrictions might reduce Kellogg’s sales by £113 million if implemented.
* In April 2022, Kellogg’s took the government (England) to court to try to stop the restrictions.
* This note covers the restrictions, Kellogg’s objections and the recent outcome of the court case.
The rest of this article is available to site subscribers, who get access to all articles plus a weekly newsletter.
To continue reading, please login below or sign up for a subscription. Thank you.