Diet for Type 2 Diabetes (DiRECT) (Part 2)

There has been much interest in the DiRECT diet – the low calorie intervention for putting type 2 diabetes (T2D) into remission. This is the second of a two-part review of the DiRECT diet – specifically – the DiRECT diet beyond the liquid phase. The Lancet DiRECT study (Ref 1) seemed to comprise three phases, but it only provided details for the first phase. This was described as a liquid diet providing 800 calories a day (Ref 2), which should be followed for 3-5 months. There were no details in the article about the food reintroduction phase (of 2-8 weeks) or the “ongoing structured programme for long-term weight loss maintenance” thereafter. The structured food reintroduction phase was reported to contain “about 50% carbohydrate, 35% total fat, and 15% protein.” Last week I said I am going to challenge the validity of this ‘50% carbohydrate, 35% total fat, and 15% protein’ macronutrient claim.” This week I am going to show it to be false.


The rest of this article is available to site subscribers, who get access to all articles plus a weekly newsletter.
To continue reading, please login below or sign up for a subscription. Thank you.