13 Responses to “Red meat & cancer & very bad journalism”

Comments

1. avatar Afifah says:

Hi Zoe, I just found this post of yours as I was seeking some dirt on Dr Alison Tedstone, spokesperson for the Dept of Health whom you mentioned re the red meat and processed meat nonsense back in 2011.
    I was looking for this as I have been invited to attend a Royal Society of Medicine conference on convincing people of the value and acuracy of govt dietary guidelines. You and I know very well that these dietary guidelines are ridiculous and harmful to the health of the nation’s people, so I looked at a couple of the contributors to this attempt of scientific justification of the drivvel that is promoted and so far I have found that Prof Ian Mcdonald is paid by Mars and Coca cola, and that you have already pointed out the flimsyness of this Tedstone woman.
    So, I wondered about going to this conference and inviting others to attend too, and to ensure that no one in that audience leaves without realising that the speakers are tricksters.
    It is going to be held on Thursday 27 March 2014 at the Royal Soc Med at 1 Wimpole St. Here is a link to the event: http://www.rsm.ac.uk/academ/fhe02.php?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Food%20and%20health%20forum%20-%20Dietary%20-%20past%20dels%20(1)&utm_content=
    I will be going, I will pay for my own ticket, and I suggest that everyone reading this comment turns up too.
    I did do this last year when cereal grains were being promoted. I was challenging enough that all attendees realised that there is not one opinion and indeed grains are responsible for a lot of serious ill health! One of the speakers totally agreed with me!!
    Anyway, there it is, I hope you come too and we can do some more good.
    All the best ~ Afifah

Hi Afifah – I’ve put it in my diary and will see if it’s possible to attend. There’s a chance I may be in Scotland that week. Doesn’t it look like you’ll spend the whole of the day banging your head on the chair in front?!

Good find anyway – I’ll tweet it and let the club know – bit pricey though eh?
      Very best wishes – Zoe

2. avatar Zoë says:

Hi Dan – you and me both! Studies like this don’t seem to know ‘good’ meat from bad. The real foodie definition of good meat is any unadulterated cuts from grass grazed animals – whether offal, chops, steak, whatever – it’s the life of the animal that matters.

In studies such as this one they tend to take any plain meat (beef, pork, lamb – which I assume to include plain cold cuts/offal) and call this unprocessed. Even if it’s chicken that has never seen daylight or ruminants that have been stuffed with grains that they can’t digest – they assume this meat to be unprocessed. They will consider burgers, sausages, packaged meats with dextrose/preservatives etc to be processed meats.
    Hope this helps!

3. avatar Dan says:

I’m having a hard time differentiating between processed meat and red meat. You mention red meat is beef, pork, or lamb. What would be processed meat? Would that be cold cuts? Anything else? And what would be offal?

4. avatar Eric says:

Just wanted to stick up for “processed meat.”
    Let’s not judge cuisine by risk percentages. Esp. not guesstimated risk percentages.
    France Italy Spain etc have 2000 of glorious sausage making tradition. This wonderful world of amazing variety (European sausages) on the one side, versus +/- 0.06437 (~42.03 >**) etc on the other side.
    Let’s vote for the sausage!

5. avatar Rob Blundell says:

To be sure of my iron intake, I will continue to munch on a steak or much loved liver & bacon thank you. Fortunately I have years ago dumped the falsely vitamin/iron loaded and manufactured breakfast cereal from Mr Kellogs and his friends!
    It’s quite appalling what the populous if fed as the real true info on food!
    Unfortunately like politics, religion, conflict and so many other aspect of life.
    I seem to remember a year or so ago hearing a report from the continent where (I think it may have been Italy) “processed meat” (not red) was linked to bowel cancer! So this is not new info but a re-run of old info with a Christmastime Santa Red twist!
    Yes folks it must be Christmas time – not much news to report so must dish up a re-run!
    Seen any good films lately on the good old telly – that are not re-runs!!
    Maybe I am just becoming septic or even a sceptic!!!
    Best wishes for a marvellous and healthy 2012 form Rob & Gerri xx

6. Unfortunately, I can’t be there, although I’d love to be – it looks like a great line up. I hope it all goes well. Hopefully I’ll make it to the next one….

7. avatar Zoë says:

Hi Brian – thanks so much for your lovely comment – and for the notes on the milk blog. I need to update that one – it should be try raw milk first, then other animals’ milk, then – as you say – the rice/almond options – almonds being even more natural than rice. The soy is the one to totally avoid and the WAFP (http://www.westonaprice.org/) information on soy is excellent – soy alert for others who haven’t discovered WAPF yet.

Are you coming to the conference in London Sat 26th March?
    Very best wishes – Zoe

8. Zoe, thanks for driving a stake through this particular pork-pie. As usual, partial news reporting and bad science conspire to keep us all in the dark. Glad to see someone dissecting this nonsense so thoroughly.

Having recently become interested in the work of the Weston A. Price Foundation, Nina Planck, Paul Chek and others, I’ve been looking for someone based in the UK who’s an authority on “real food”.

I think I’ve just found you!

9. avatar Sandi says:

It’s not the red meat, maybe not even the processed meat that will kill one. It’s the blatant manipulation of facts, selective interpretation of scientific data, and feeding of bull to the public that sticks in one’s craw, which is “probably” more likely to cause one to choke and die – rather than any colorectal cancer or iron-deficiency risk! This kind of hysterical reporting is beyond wicked, and makes me wonder whether the journalists reporting on it are either on a sugar rush, or have lost all their objective, investigative faculties, or are on someone’s payroll. Thanks Zoe – keep exposing the insidious health rot, and vested interests, so often found hiding behind science! Makes me ashamed [at times] to be a health professional.

10. avatar Sandi says:

It’s not the red meat, maybe not even the processed meat that will kill one. It’s the blatant manipulation of facts, selective interpretation of scientific data, and feeding of bull to the public that sticks in one’s craw, which is “probably” more likely to cause one to choke and die – rather than any colorectal cancer or iron-deficiency risk! This kind of hysterical reporting is beyond wicked, and makes me wonder whether the journalists reporting on it either on a sugar rush, or have lost all the objective, investigative faculties, or are on someone’s payroll. Thanks Zoe – keep exposing the insidious health rot, and vested interests, so often found hiding behind science! Makes me ashamed [at times] to be a health professional.

11. avatar Christine Welham says:

Thank you, oh thank you Zoe! I heard the TV headlines (and switched off) – read the newspaper headlines (and walked right past the newspaper stands) – because I knew it had to be utter rubbish. Now you have confirmed it. Liver, bacon and kidneys for dinner tomorrow night! :-)

4 − = 2