* In 2015, three German reporters set about trying to do a study, which would get published in an academic journal and generate global headlines “Chocolate helps weight loss”. They achieved their goal.
* This review of this classic study shows how the journalists achieved their exposé and how results were claimed despite glaring inconsistencies.
* The article was published without peer review. This post goes through just some of the big flaws that should have been picked up in peer review.
* Some of the global headlines have been since corrected; some are still online, reporting this fake study as valid.
* Most diet and health academic papers have at least one flaw in them. This one was in a league of its own.
The rest of this article is available to site subscribers, who get access to all articles plus a weekly newsletter.
To continue reading, please login below or sign up for a subscription. Thank you.