* This note summarises what carbohydrates are, from fructose to fibre.
* It briefly looks at the role carbohydrates have played historically – feeding and growing the population and freeing people up to do other activities.
* It explores why official dietary guidelines specify carbohydrate intake of 55% or higher, as a proportion of total calories.
* It presents the main public health arguments for eating carbohydrates and the counter-arguments that are immediately obvious.
* It presents arguments for reducing carbohydrate intake.
The rest of this article is available to site members, who get access to all articles plus a weekly newsletter.
To continue reading, please login below or sign up for a membership. Thank you.