12 Responses to “Statins and Strokes & disgraceful headlines”

Comments

1. avatar Liza Scrivens says:

Are NICE really going to approve statins for widespread use in the population ? Where is the analysis that this is going to yield any benefits – all I have seen from the papers that you have analysed are increased risks for taking the medication or an absence of positive benefits in many sectors of the population

2. avatar HELENA WOJTCZAK says:

Thank you very much Zoe for another wonderful article. I agree 100% with Annabel that “It’s long overdue for there to be a law which disallows the ‘summarisation’ or ‘reporting’ of any health study without a direct link to the transcript of the actual study under the ‘article’.”

Absolutely there should be!

3. avatar Jessica says:

Annabel – kindred spirit!!! My doctor was also blatant about the “secret” food I was eating since I was having my five a day, along with low fat food with regular exercise and I was putting on weight. It got to the point where I couldn’t eat five a day – it would have been too many calories (apparently) for me!

Your 500 a day diet, although utterly unhealthy and hurrendous, might actually help. Low carbing only seemed to work for me after I ‘kick started’ my body by stopping eating altogether. So you might be in the perfect place to start a new diet.

I wish you luck, and yes, it’s hard to equate eating clotted cream with losing weight but it works! Just shows what government brain washing can do….

4. avatar glyn says:

Once people understand what cholesterol is for and how it works it quickly becomes obvious that cholesterol lowering therapies are ridiculous.

5. avatar Annabel says:

Misinformation on the effects of dietary intake is so rampant today that I could find a “study” or doctor’s summary to back up almost any type of eating plan. It’s long overdue for there to be a law which disallows the ‘summarisation’ or ‘reporting’ of any health study without a direct link to the transcript of the actual study under the ‘article’. It shouldn’t be such hard work to find out the truth about food intake, metabolism and fat storage in the human body.

As a vegetarian for 15 years, I struggled awfully with my weight – sticking to regimented eating plans based around carbohydrates, fruits and vegetables. (Insert screams here) I thought I was eating healthily.

And the worse thing is, I was always hungry. Recently I have been on a 500calories a day shake program for 6 months and have only lost 20kg despite the fact that if calories counting worked, I should have lost over 50+kilograms by now. My doctor’s response to this is that I must be consuming hidden calories – which was his way of saying that I am eating ‘secretly’ or bingeing – which I’m not and have not.

Now I am only going to follow what sounds right and what I believe to be true based on my experience – it’s obvious that a few food multinationals have ‘taken over’ all avenues for food research and it’s nearly impossible to know what is what when it comes to food. Zoe, I’m glad I’ve found you. I have purchased your book and it makes sense to me. I have given up vegetarianism because it only contributes to my weight problem (actually I gave it up a year ago but rarely eat meat anyway) but I have to admit I am TERRIFIED to eating 3000 calories a day in a protein based diet. I am so conditioned against calories that even starting your diet daunts me. I wish I’d known about these protein facts years ago.

I will make a start and see what happens…

6. avatar TeeDee says:

Thanks again for an excellent analysis of this paper. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, I don’t know what I’d do without your dissemination of these studies and headlines. In fact, yours was the first name I mentioned just last night when we were discussing how important it was to educate ourselves(as opposed to just popping in to see the doctor) on how to best feed our bodies/brains. My son-in-law agreed, but said it’s so hard to find the time to not only read a book on the latest health findings, but to follow up and read the studies that accompany them–and I couldn’t agree more. It can feel utterly exhausting at the end of the day, as I’m sure you know all too well.
    I am so grateful for the work you do and can’t possibly thank you enough, but thank you nonetheless!

All the best to you and yours,
    T.D., Hamilton, Ontario

7. avatar Jo says:

That’s a pretty sloppy reply from the journalist – an indicator of her standards of reporting perhaps.

8. avatar Björn Hammarskjöld says:

Hi Zoë!

The answer by Jenny Hope “I spoke to and quoted researcher.” does not tell who the “researcher” was. And with that kind of “information” she has better keep the name hidden as a journalistic source.
    And as Gary Taubes pointed out in his book Good Calories, Bad Calories from 2007, he differentiated strongly between “researchers” and Scientists.
    Most modern “researchers” are just like parrots with the same amount of intracranial hardware and software. They can just repeat what the master tells them.
    Scientists still think for themselves and publish honest scienctific articles.

9. avatar Stephen Blackbourn says:

Thank you Zoe for following up this article.

One wonders how much money changes hands between drug companies and editors who promote their products.

10. avatar John Williams says:

Too many modern so-called journalists have little or no respect for facts or, indeed, for their readers. Editors no longer edit. Facts are ignored or distorted to suit political or commercial interests. All that matters is to fill the space and pull in more readers and advertisers. It is a case of “bullshit baffles brains” and it will continue while publishers know they can get away with it because we carry on, largely uncritically, buying their publications.

+ 9 = 18