66 Responses to “How statin drugs really lower cholesterol & kill you one cell at a time”

Comments

1. avatar Zoë says:

Hi Paul – it should make you concerned. I doubt your doctor has ever heard of the things that the Yosephs have uncovered. I’m encouraging people to read their book – not mine. I have not written any books about statins, so there’s no conflict. I just think that my fellow humans should know what statins actually do to the human body.

As for giving books away for free – we give a lot away but we do need to sell some or we would starve to death! I don’t know what your job is but why don’t you do it for free? It continually baffles me that people think that authors should do their job for free but all other jobs should get paid?!

Seek medical advice by all means but the point of the statins/cholesterol hypothesis is that the conflict is enormous and runs deep. The conflict is not the Yosephs possibly making 70 cents per copy (not many people know royalty rates) but Lipitor, one statin alone, having made $125 BILLION for Pfizer. Your doc could deliberately or unwittingly be part of this huge crime- as per the conflicts of those setting cholesterol targets uncovered by the Yosephs. This blog post (kindly providing a summary of the book for free) is merely presenting the facts about what statins actually do in the human body. You need to read a lot, take charge of your own health, listen to your doc, ask him/her a lot of questions – don’t just take statins because you trust white coats. That’s the bottom line!

2. avatar Mie says:

This entire blog post was amusing, but I have to give special credit to your “explanation” of FH. You do not mention the fact that abnormally high levels of circulating LDL are a major causative risk factor for atherosclerosis but pretend this is somehow totally different from what you state to be the main problem of FH patients – cells not being able to take in the LDL-cholesterol due to decreased LDL-receptor activity (which, of course, leads to abnormally high levels of circulating LDL)??

Congrats. This level is rarely reached, even in cholesterol denialist circles.

BTW, people with homozygous FH do receive at least some benefits from aggressive statin therapy but of course not the same kind as people with heterozygous FH. And these people do not die because their cells don’t get the cholesterol needed: they die due to premature atherosclerosis leading (mostly) to premature CAD.

3. avatar Mark says:

I dont disagree with anything written here, I have being weaning my Mother off statins fro the last 6 months. She was put on a max dose for no good reason. You can see how we all get enamoured by the easy to check numbers however and the Framlingham study data that states no one with a total cholesterol below 3.9 and LDL below 3.0 had ever died of a heart attack within this very large study. If this is the case what are we to make of keeping LDL down. Should we pursue it but by more natural means. I have personally had lowered blood numbers by using Krill oil. Would value your opinion.

4. avatar Mark says:

Paul, If you think your dcotor or cardio is impartial try asking him or her some basic questions about diet and heart health and see how little they know. I have so far askd 3 doctors and 2 cardios there opinion on the new Swedish dietary guidelines. Given how radical they are I would expect some sort of opinion. Not one of them new what I was talking about. When I gave one doctor the overview he proudly stated that he was a doctor not a nutritionist !. I tried to get him to realise that the two were the same if not closely related but gave up.

5. avatar Zoë says:

Hi Mark – please do you have a reference for this bit? “no one with a total cholesterol below 3.9 and LDL below 3.0 had ever died of a heart attack within this very large study”. The Framingham quotation I’ve most often seen is about fat and cholesterol:

“In Framingham, (Massachusetts), the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person’s serum cholesterol.” (original emphasis). (William Castelli, Archives of Internal Medicine, (July 1992), 152:7:1371-1372.) Castelli being the study director

Many thanks – Zoe

6. avatar Professor R.A. Agarwal says:

I had coronary bypass operation in december 2013. ever since then iave been taking rosastatin 10mg. everyday. bleeding from the small intestine which took the hemoglobin down to 4-6 g/percent. had to be given blood transfusion every time. although anticoagulants have stopped the bleeding still took place. Could this be due to statins? what will happen if I stop statins? any answers?

7. avatar Zoë says:

Hi Prof Agarwal – you need to take medical advice, as I’m sure you realise. The patient leaflet for rosastatin says to contact your doctor immediately if you develop any unusual bleeding. So, yes, this could be due to statins and it could stop if you stop taking statins – as could all the other horrors described in this blog post.

I hope you find a doc who is open to the idea that statins are anything other than wonderful!
    Very best wishes – Zoe

8. avatar Mie says:

“The Framingham quotation I’ve most often seen is about fat and cholesterol:”

… and deals with the unadjusted observations. When adjusted for confounding factors, the consumption of safa wasn’t beneficial in terms of TC or LDL levels.

9. avatar Mie says:

Taking your time with moderation when it comes to my comments, I see? :-)

10. avatar Andy says:

Hi Mie,
    your comments were trapped by the spam filter. Probably as a result of the number of comments you posted in a short period of time.

11. avatar Mie says:

Does that mean in the entire blog? I posted a couple of comments within a short period of time, yes, but under different blog posts.

12. avatar Mike Lock says:

Surely this explanation could have been put in a more shorter form.

13. avatar Prof. Venkatarama Krishnan says:

I came across this website while searching for the effects of statins. I have disturbances in the EKG but my lipid profile was always well within the normal limits with LDL 100 and HDL 40. The first cardiologist talked me into taking Atorovastatin 10 mg a day and after taking it for a month, my thinking process was getting badly disturbed and I developed a little weakness in the limbs. I stopped taking it and after two weeks the symptoms disappeared. When I reported this to the doctor he did not think that the symptoms a were due to the statin. I went to a second cardiologist and he said that this is a placebo effect and asked me to take Crestor. I started taking 5mg every other day and after a month my feet started swelling. I stopped it and the swelling went away. The second doctor still insisted that these symptoms are placebo effects. I read through your blog and I am convinced that the statin does not agree with me. I will be interested in any take you may have on this situation.

14. avatar Zoë Harcombe says:

Hi Prof. Krishnan – I’m a member of thincs (http://www.thincs.org/) – the growing group of scientists, researchers, academics and doctors who think that the cholesterol myth will go down in history as one of the greatest crimes committed against mankind. You’ve had the first hand experience. You’ve had the standard doctor dismissal of your experiences (of this, you are far from alone). I would recommend reading as much as you can on the topic and deciding your view on cholesterol and statins.

If you put the word “cholesterol” in on the search box on my site, you’ll get lots of articles (http://www.zoeharcombe.com/index.php?s=cholesterol)
    Anything on here: http://drmalcolmkendrick.org/
    Or here: http://www.drbriffa.com/

Books highly recommended are: Dr Duane Graveline – The Statin Damage Crisis or Lipitor: Thief of Memory.
    Dr Malcolm Kendrick – The Great Cholesterol Con
    Uffe Ravnskov – Fat & Cholesterol are good for you or Ignore the Awkward
    Jonny Bowden, Jimmy Moore – there are many books on these topics when you start to question the drug industry line.

Good luck!
    Very best wishes – Zoe

15. avatar Pauline says:

Hi.. I was just told to start taking Lipitor by my doctor after my blood test showed a major increase in my total level 303, LDH at 211, and HDL at 55. Three months ago, she increased my Effexor to 215mg per day from 75mg per day. I have researched this and found that Effexor can drastically raise levels. Help?

− 2 = 6