6 Responses to “Inactivity killing as many as smoking (really?!)”

Comments

1. avatar Tom Welsh says:

My initial reaction to seeing those headlines – after I picked my lower jaw up from the floor and massaged it gently to soothe the bruising – was to conclude that they sum up, more concisely and perfectly than anything else I have seen, the unbelievable ignorance and stupidity that has become standard in our media.

The mind circles such assertions incredulously, trying over and over again to find some point of entry – some aspect of the statements that is coherent enough to criticize. But there just isn’t any.

2. avatar Alicia L. says:

Zoe–a general comment:

Thank you very much for taking the time to dismantle and analyze these articles that are published and subsequently grabbed by the media as “truths.” I recently obtained a Master’s in Public Health and I am astonished at the amount of crap epidemiology published in what are supposed to be the top academic journals. It makes me wonder just who is reviewing these articles for publication, and how they do not see past these serious short-comings in the study design!?

Again, I greatly appreciate your articles–please keep up the wonderful work.

3. avatar Catherine says:

What are these idiots trying to tell us, exactly? I do like your “five-a-week” comparison, Zoe – what is it going to be next for the “five” treatment? I had a similar reaction to that of Tom Welsh, having to drag my jaw off the desk when I read the article. I’ve always believed that any exercise should be done because we enjoy it, not because we feel we ought to do it. Some exercise we have to do, as you say, getting to work, at work and so on, but this seems to be rather sidelined by these tunnel-visioned “experts”. I am currently working on my excess weight, following your plan, which is simple-pimple, but I haven’t started any extra exercise alongside that. I’ve been Zumba-ing for just over a year, once a week, and I love it. When I followed Atkins five years ago, I lost plenty of weight and didn’t do a grapevine of extra exercise. I walk when I want to, run a short distance if I have to, and go up and down stairs because I have to. The thought of slogging it out at the gym (which I’ve done in the past) fills me with horror, as does jogging in full view of my neighbours at bizarre times of the day and night, in all weathers. If this makes me “lazy”, then I am. Do I sound as though I’m bothered?!!

4. avatar Aaron H. says:

I came by today to check out your debunking of the recent egg study and, as always, got sucked into your many other brilliant posts. I’ve never found the need to comment before, but your decision to do the math on the time spent exercising vs. life expectancy (and with a rigor certainly no worse than the study it’s based upon) just made my day. The fact that the numbers worked out so deliciously perfect is just icing on the cake.

Thanks again for the great post and blog.

5. avatar Zoë says:

Thanks so much Aaron! I get my share of attacks so the lovely comments are really appreciated :-) Zoe

6. avatar Margaret O says:

Zoe I’ve just discovered your blog and I’m loving the couple of articles I’ve read so far. So glad I can eat red meat again and I love doing exercise so i’m gutted to learn it’s not getting me a halo. The extra life expectancy almost equalling the extra days of exercise made me laugh out loud. I have to say though that I was really disappointed with your ‘Africans are starving so don’t have to worry about heart disease’ assumption. I thought you were going to give some actual data on rates of CHD and cancer in African countries rather than just the tired old stereotypes that Ethiopians are all starving. Zimbabwe has problems, but it’s a real stretch to say it’s war torn. Actually, according to a Zimbabwean friend of mine, things are improving. I used to live in southern African and the particular country I was in had a serious problem with hypertension, probably due to the fact that they shower their meat in salt. You might well be right, and I suspect that lot of southern African countries may well have lower rates of cancer and CHD, (not least because of people dying of AIDS before they develop CHD or cancer) but please give us data, not stereotypes – is this not what you are about, challenging the lazy assumptions?

8 + = 13