Presentation References & Links
You can download all the presentation slides here (pdf format)
Slide 5 – The Obesity Epidemic in the UK1
Slide 6 – The Obesity Epidemic in the US2
Slide 7 – What happened c. 19803-6
Slide 9 – Why did we change dietary advice?8-11
Slide 10 – Why did we change dietary advice?12
Slide 12 – The case against fat17-22
Slide 15 – What did we change to?[i]
Slide 16 – What are we eating?
– 1,556 processed food calories25[ii]
– Flour consumption[iii]
– Sugar consumption[iv]
– Foods that have gone down and up26
Slide 17 – The 192 countries study[v]
Slide 21 – Saturated fat & CVD in Europe27
Slides 25-28 – USDA Database[vi]
Slide 31 – American Dietitians conflicts30
Slide 32 – British Nutrition Foundation31
Slide 33 – Nordic Congress for Dietitians32
- Michael Wadsworth, Diana Kuh, Marcus Richards, Hardy. R. Cohort Profile: The 1946 National Birth Cohort (MRC National Survey of Health and Development). Int J Epidemiol 2006; 35: 49-54.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Health United States. In: Prevention CfDCa, editor.; 2006. p. 559.
- Carter J.P. Eating in America; Dietary Goals for the United States; Report of the Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs US Senate. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press 1977.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agriculture USDA. Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Washington: U.S. Government printing office; 1980.
- National Advisory Committee on Nutritional Education (NACNE). A discussion paper on proposals for nutritional guidelines for health education in Britain. 1983.
- Committee on Medical Aspects of Food Policy (COMA). Diet and cardiovascular disease: Report of the panel on diet in relation to cardiovascular disease. 1984.
- Tanner TH. The Practice of Medicine. Philadelphia: Lindsay & Blakiston; 1869.
- Anitschkow N. Über die Veränderungen der Kaninchenaorta bei experimenteller Cholesterinsteatose. Beitr Pathol Anat 1913; 56: 379-404.
- Keys A. Coronary heart disease in seven countries I. The study program and objectives. Circulation 1970; 41(I-1-I-8).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Table 26. Leading causes of death and numbers of deaths, by sex, race, and Hispanic origin: United States, 1980 and 2007,. In: National Center for Health Statistics, editor.; 2011.
- Keys A, Anderson JT, Mickelsen O, Adelson SF, Fidanza F. Diet and Serum Cholesterol in Man: Lack of Effect of Dietary Cholesterol. The Journal of Nutrition 1956; 59(1): 39-56.
- Keys A, Anderson JT. The relationship of the diet to the development of atherosclerosis in man. In: National Research Council DoMS, ed. Symposium on atherosclerosis. Washington; 1955: 181-96.
- Keys A. Coronary heart disease in seven countries Summary. Circulation 1970; 41(I-186-I-195).
- Menotti A, Keys A, Kromhout D, et al. Inter-cohort differences in coronary heart disease mortality in the 25-year follow-up of the seven countries study. European journal of epidemiology 1993; 9(5): 527-36.
- Yerushalmy J, Hilleboe HE. Fat in the diet and mortality from heart disease; a methodologic note. N Y State J Med 1957; 57(14): 2343-54.
- Scragg R. Seasonality of cardiovascular disease mortality and the possible protective effect of ultra-violet radiation. Int J Epidemiol 1981; 10(4): 337-41.
- Rose GA, Thomson WB, Williams RT. Corn Oil in Treatment of Ischaemic Heart Disease. BMJ 1965; 1(5449): 1531-3.
- Research Committee. Low-fat diet in myocardial infarction: A controlled trial. The Lancet 1965; 2(7411): 501-4.
- Medical Research Council. Controlled trial of soya-bean oil in myocardial infarction: Report of a research committee to the Medical Research Council. The Lancet 1968; 292(7570): 693-700.
- Dayton S, Pearce ML, Hashomoto S, Dixon WJ, Tomiyasu U. A Controlled Clinical Trial of a Diet High in Unsaturated Fat in Preventing Complications of Atherosclerosis. Circulation 1969; 40(1S2): II-1-II-63.
- Leren P. The Oslo Diet-Heart Study. Circulation 1970; 42: 935-42.
- Woodhill JM, Palmer AJ, Leelarthaepin B, McGilchrist C, Blacket RB. Low fat, low cholesterol diet in secondary prevention of coronary heart disease. Advances in experimental medicine and biology 1978; 109: 317-30.
- Truswell AS. Review of dietary intervention studies: effect on coronary events and on total mortality. Aust N Z J Med 1994; 24(1): 98-106.
- Food Standards Agency. Letter to Zoë Harcombe. September 25, 2009.
- A National Statistics Publication. The Family Food Survey. In: DEFRA, editor.: The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs; 2012.
- Ministry of Agriculture Fisheries & Food. National Food Survey: Household Food Consumption Great Britain,. 1974-2000.
- Allender S, Scarborough P, Peto V, Rayner M. European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics: British Heart Foundation Health Promotion Research Group, 2008.
- PepsiCo. Annual Report, 2013.
- International Monetary Fund. Report for Selected Countries and Subjects. World Economic Outlook., 2014.
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Annual Report, 2012.
- British Nutrition Foundation. Annual Report, 2013-14.
- Nordic Dietetic Association. Nordic Congress for Dietitians. 2006; Grand Hotel, Reykjavik, Iceland; 2006.