Jason completed medical school at the University of Toronto and a fellowship in nephrology in Los Angeles. He continues to practice nephrology in Toronto, where he is also the co-founder of The Fasting Method, a program that helps patients to lose weight and reverse their type 2 diabetes (T2D) naturally.
Jason and I first met in 2015 at the first and best low carb conference – in Cape Town, south Africa. Jason wowed us all at that event as a quite brilliant presenter.
In this 50 minute chat, we explore the following:
- How did a nephrologist end up a global expert in diabetes? Jason covers how he worked out what the T2D issue was and what needed to be done to address it. He also shares what people are taught in med school (that T2D is chronic and progressive), and how this has obstructed progress in understanding and alleviating the condition.
- Fasting – what does it mean? What should be eaten? How long do people fast for?
- Jason’s view on low carb, low calorie and fasting as tools for putting T2D into remission. This part of the talk included the metabolic challenge with low calorie diets and why fasting avoids this. Jason sorts out thermodynamics along the way!
- What’s this personal fat threshold that the low calorie proponents talk about?
- What do you eat? And how often?
- Where do you think this field is going?
I’ll leave these notes with one of my favourite Jason sayings: “You can’t use drugs to cure a dietary disease.” We therefore need to put less sugar in; and burn off remaining sugar.