Ref 1: Gordon Wardlaw, Smith. A. Contemporary Nutrition. Seventh edition ed: McGraw Hill; 2009 10 February 2008. and Dehghan M, Mente A, Zhang X, Swaminathan S, Li W, Mohan V, et al. Associations of fats and carbohydrate intake with cardiovascular disease and mortality in 18 countries from five continents (PURE): a prospective cohort study. The Lancet. 2017.
Ref 2: Carter J.P. Eating in America; Dietary Goals for the United States; Report of the Select Committee on Nutrition and Human Needs US Senate. Cambridge, MA, USA: MIT Press 1977.
Ref 3: https://www.cnpp.usda.gov/sites/default/files/usda_nutrition_evidence_flbrary/2010DGAC-SR-Protein.pdf
Ref 4: https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2018/04/red-meat-cancer
Ref 5: http:/nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7493/0 (#2244)
Sirloin steak: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/7493/0
Olive oil: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fats-and-oils/509/2
1% fat milk: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/74/2
Brown rice: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5706/2
Ref 8: Allender S, Scarborough P, Peto V, Rayner M. European Cardiovascular Disease Statistics: British Heart Foundation Health Promotion Research Group, 2008.
Ref 9: https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2010/11/cholesterol-heart-disease-there-is-a-relationship-but-its-not-what-you-think/
Ref 10: http://www.thennt.com/nnt/statins-persons-low-risk-cardiovascular-disease/
Ref 11: https://www.zoeharcombe.com/2011/08/the-vegetarian-myth-lierre-keith/
Field deaths in plant agriculture https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs10806-018-9733-8
Extra notes made during the session:
- Check out Joel Salatin here and on videos and general internet searches.
- Source for the leg of lamb graphics (p.s. don’t shoot me – the US database doesn’t have Welsh meat, so I thought NZ would be closest).
- The BBC Wales Fats vs Carbs programme.
- The Grass Diet – video I did for Pasture TV.
- Belinda Fettke’s summary post on the roots of the plant-biased diet.
- The SDA article on their achievements.
- Why is wheat so bad? A summary of Dr William Davis’s brilliant work.
- The liver pate recipe!