These are the references for my presentation for CrossFit DDC at CrossFit HQ in February 2020:
Most images are screen grabs from the Game Changers movie (Netflix)
Slide 2: Why is Titanic the most watched movie of all time? (2017 post – it has since been overtaken).
Slide 6: Fraser. Vegetarian diets: what do we know of their effects on common chronic diseases? AJCN. (2009).
Slide 13: The Brian Sanders debunk is here.
Slide 17: The 400m rankings for the 2016 period are here.
Slide 23: Ornish. Intensive Lifestyle Changes for Reversal of Coronary Heart Disease. JAMA (1998).
Slide 26: Ross & Fahey. Bilateral femoral supracondylar stress fractures in a cross country runner. Orthopedics. (2008).
Slide 27: Vegan diet & performance:
1) Boldt et al. Quality of life of female and male vegetarian and vegan endurance runners compared to omnivores – results from the NURMI study (step 2). J Int Soc Sports Nutr. (2018).
2) Rogerson. Vegan diets: practical advice for athletes and exercisers. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. (2017).
3) Clénin. The treatment of iron deficiency without anaemia (in otherwise healthy persons). Swiss Med Wkly. (2017).
4) Fuhrman & Ferreri. Fueling the vegetarian (vegan) athlete. Curr Sports Med Rep. 2010.
5) Carter et al. Preeclampsia and reproductive performance in a community of vegans. South Med J. (1987).
Slide 28: Vegan diet & athlete/athletic:
1) Nebl et al. Exercise capacity of vegan, lacto ovo-vegetarian and omnivorous recreational runners. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. (2019).
2) Wirnitzer et al. Health Status of Female and Male Vegetarian and Vegan Endurance Runners Compared to Omnivores-Results from the NURMI Study (Step 2). Nutrients. (2018).
3) Rogerson (as above)
4) Fuhrman & Ferreri (as above)
Slide 30: This National Food Strategy article explains the essential nutrients we need and where we get them from.
Slides 31-33: The Daily Dozen.
Slide 43: Fischer & Lamey. Field Deaths in Plant Agriculture. Journal of Agricultural Environmental Ethics. (2018).
Slide 44: Landscape picture came from Countrysideonline.
The Vegetarian Myth. Lierre Keith. My blog on this brilliant book.
Slide 46: The Game Changers on Netflix.