24 Responses to “The Australian Heart Foundation & more fat ignorance”

Comments

1. avatar Jill says:

I arrived here from the Fathead blog.

I too commented and argued – a lot – on the Heart Foundation FB page, receiving a warning or two.
    The final straw for them seemed to be when someone posted a message saying that you could not alter the expression of your genes via dietary means (implied sneer) and I promptly posted two articles fronm sciencedaily.com that showed that you could indeed do just that.
    That’s when they banned me. and I had so much more to say! ;)

I suspect they didn’t enjoy my mixture of polite pleading with them to use the Catalyst info as a learning opportunity,logical argument and sarcasm. Ah, well – many more forums exist for our many talents.:)

2. avatar Mie says:

“Please provide evidence that saturated fat is unhealthy. Please also explain why all three fats (saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated) are found together in all foods that contain fats. There are no exceptions whatsoever. Why would nature do this if one were bad and another good”

Saturated fat impairs LDL receptor activity which leads to increased LDL-levels, compared to unsaturated fatty acids. This has been proven in meticulously executed metabolic ward studies. Now, in real life the amount of safa can be but one aspect of a healthy/unhealthy diet, and in moderate amounts it isn’t really that big a deal in the case of healthy individuals. But yes, from a strict physiological point of view, that’s the explanation you were looking for. So there. :-)

And nice job providing the readers with a text book example of “appeal to nature” fallacy, too. ;-)

3. avatar Kay Ritson says:

just to let you know Zoe, I have now been banned from the HF FB page, and I am proud to say it
    :-)

4. avatar Kay Ritson says:

I too have been threatened with being reported to Facebook for spamming the HF page, but all I did was post info about scientific studies that contradict the HF guidelines and included likes to the research.

Hi Kay – wow! It’s like something out of an Orwell novel! How outrageous! You should report them to Facebook for conflict of interest!

5. avatar Kay Ritson says:

If you want to see what the Australian Heart foundation considers to be healthy go here http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/SiteCollectionDocuments/Tick_Shopping_List.pdf to see their ‘Tick’ shopping list, many of the foods don’t even conform with their low fat dietary guidelines for example: toasted Muesli

6. avatar john says:

Zoe, the culprit is low vit D. A paper presented in june identifies low vit D as the (a) cause of high blood pressure. And surely high BP is the precurser to heart disease and stoke. Did you see Catalyst on ABC last week?…exposes the anti cholesterol advice as a massive scam. It then tries to load up the mediterranean diet as the next good thing without reference to the mediterranean Sun! My advice is: get out into the backyard and get your shirt off as often as you can. john

Hi John – I couldn’t agree more! In my obesity epidemic book, I redid Keys’ correlation between heart disease and cholesterol and found a virtually perfect correlation between heart disease and latitude of the cohort/country in the Seven Countries Study. Cholesterol became nothing more than a marker that it had not been turned into vitamin D in the cohorts/countries that got less sunshine. The real harm was the low vit D. The cholesterol was a marker of this and not a cause of anything
      And yes I saw the Catalyst thing and loved it – slowly but surely! Looking out for part 2
      Very best wishes – Zoe

7. avatar Marilyn Schroeder says:

Zoe, also get behind Gary Fettke No Fructose (Gary is an Australian Orthopaedic Surgeon) and David Gillespie (author of 4 books about sugar, oils and lies – (most well known for ‘Sweet Poison Quit Plan’). They have been leading ‘the charge’ in Australia and raising awareness about the issues with sugars and demonisation of saturated fats.

8. avatar sylvia says:

Having been on the Gaps diet for the last 6-7 months, i’ve cut out all grains and starchy carbs. Obviously I’ve had to considerably increase my fats or I’d be ravenous. I eat all the saturated fats such as butter and meat fats as well as coconut oil – lots. My problem is that I’m getting too skinny now and no amount of fat will put on any weight. This is not just because I’m the skinny type. I have photos showing how I can also carry quite a bit of fat around the belly and hips. So the argument that eating fat will make you fat is complete rubbish. I’ve signed Jessie’s petition and shared it several times – including on the ABC Catalyst page as they advertise their program on rethinking cholesterol.

9. avatar Helena Wojtczak says:

I’m starting to think that this whole thing is a massive conspiracy to make us sick then (a) big pharma profits and (b) they don’t have to pay out so many pensions, or for so long. I saw a pie chart recently that showed that 53% of all benefits paid out by the UK government is in pensions, and not in JSA or HB as many people seem to think. How they would love to decrease that payout. I don’t usually believe in “conspiracy theories” but this one is smacking me in the face daily…

10. avatar Trevor Baret says:

This has given me the impetus to join the battle with the Australian Heart Foundation. As a dentist, I have been telling my patients for over twenty years that the Heart Foundation Tick is meaningless, and that they have no evidence to support their ridiculous claims.

I will get in touch with Jessie so I can provide support.

Trevor

Trevor – you’re fab! I’m loving how ballsy you Aussies are – no wonder Wales v Australia is the best autumn international!
      Best wishes – Welsh girl!

11. avatar Isabelle says:

It’s infuriating to see ads on TV from the Australian Heart Foundation claiming that a highly processed margarine is much better than natural butter (and using kids to do so). I’ve been writing to them and they provided the same answer. I’ve been following Jessie and I really impressed with her determination, she is young and if she can reach out to the younger generation to a better and healthy life, that will be a great outcome. But with all those messages, ads, doctors advices that claim saturated fat are bad it is going to be hard.
    It is really frustrating to see this debate going on for years with both sides claiming they own scientific evidence. I’ve got my own scientific evidence. I had some blood tests done recently and my doctor was really pleased with the results especially my cholesterol results: HDL mid-range and LDL even lower than the lower range. When I told him about what I eat (2/3 eggs a day, lots of meat, vegies, little sugar except in fruit and raw honey, little grains, full fat milk,…) he was literally stunned and his answer was: ” saturated fat are responsible to increase your cholesterol, you must have good genes!”. When doctors will put the head out of the sand and realise that sugar and grains are the bad guys??? People put their health in their hand and here is the results…sick and obese people. Chocking. I don’t trust any of them.

12. avatar Clare says:

I have been asking AWKWARD questions of one of the Heart Foundation FB pages and have been warned I will be banned for being a troublemaker if I continue…… How’s that for freedom of speech? They simply do not have answers and are afraid of troublemakers :-)

13. avatar George @ the High Fat hep C Diet says:

We have the same problem in New Zealand. The Heart Foundation sees its role as fundraising and holding onto power. They sell the “Tick” that is the symbol of their approval to sugar-laden products that are low in saturated fat, and join forces with manufacturers of oils, spreads, and artificial flavourings to promote their inaccurate message. They probably think that funding Heart research justifies these compromises, yet they pay no attention to the actual results of the research that’s relevant to the message they put out.
    They are dependent on the “real food bad, fake food and drugs good” message because the makers of fake food and drugs have much deeper pockets than the makers or real food.

14. avatar corazon says:

Have you heard that the Swedisch SBU (Swedish Expert Commitee) , have chosen the LCHF diet as the most effective!
    Huray!!!
    At last some official body that approves of it!
    I have done it myself, got from a size 42 to a 38 and love my new lifestyle….

15. avatar Jessica says:

Ah, it’s a bit more serious than saturated fat not being able to defend itself! As one who requires a large content of fat in my diet, if saturated fat is blamed for obesity, heart problems etc., they will start up the whole “We need to tax sat fat” campaign again, followed by a “You are not losing weight, therefore you need to eat less fat and more carbs” (in which case I’ll die from my diabetes) plus funding into research to prove who the real culprit is will be forgotten or diverted. Then it’ll be “You’re not following government guidelines so we’ll cut your free medication” followed by “Well, since you’re now dead, we don’t have to pay your pension” relief.

And it offends me. To see people who should be aligned with science either ignoring it or not using proven abilities (we did this in school – theory, experiment and conclusion, and if it was wrong, you got big, red marks all over your work saying, “This is wrong!”) to SHOW if theories were likely, instead of blatantly dismissing requests for evidence. We may as well go back to witches being the cause of diabetes, perhaps burning me at the stake would help.

− 3 = 2