7 Responses to “The Dukan Diet – What’s it all about?”

Comments

1. avatar Jessica says:

Hi Laurel, just wanted to post an answer, hope you’ll get to read it. What I have found is the my intense hunger is caused by high blood glucose levels (although when they are really high, I then feel sick). Ironically, if I eat less, I feel less hungry. Now, I understand the kind of hunger you’re talking about. I used to feel it on the “five a day, starchy foods” diet which we used to get told to eat. I actually wanted to bite my own arm at one point because all I could think about was eating. Even now, my brain does not acknowledge when I have eaten. I have to put food on a plate which I now know through experimentation is enough to satisfy my needs, but not spike my sugars, and eat it. Then I have to wait. If I’m still hungry, I eat some pure fat (cream) or some high fat/low carb (peanut butter) or some nuts (protein). Again, too much protein can spike me, which is where even low carb diets can go wrong for type 2 diabetics. The hunger is easier to deal with though, and I think things go wrong only because my body is damaged from yo yo dieting, a high sugar diet (yes, I tried not eating fat!) and by following the wrong advice. Right now, I am losing weight and controlling my sugars. That’s what counts, and being hungry (that low-level “I could eat some crisps right now” hunger) is a back ground noise I have to learn to tune out. Think of it like this : are you eating too little to keep yourself alive? Look at an anorexic diet – are you eating more than them? If yes, that’s either enough or too much – do you know how much food you actually need? For me, that amount is certainly not what my body thinks it is, and too keep piling food into my mouth would simply make the hunger pangs worse.
    Note : I am not advocating becoming an anorexic, I’m simply pointing out that ‘healthy’ portions might be unhealthy for some people.

2. avatar Helena Azzam says:

Thanks Zoe. Enough said! Too faddy by half and too many rules. I love the simplicity of the Harcombe Diet and that it fits so easily into life.

3. avatar Suzanne says:

You make a ton of sense. Nobody has addressed hunger and cravings and that is the reason we could never stay on a diet. Our bodies cannot do without protein or natural carbs for any period of time. We all tend to listen to the next greatest thing,try it, and fail. Even Dr.OZ confuses me terribly. If I took all the supplements he recommends in a day I would have a new job swallowing. And if I was not being paid to do it….I would be on the streets. I am going to try to live on natural foods. And try to eliminate sugar. Dr Phil failed on the weight loss front and so will Dr Oz. They need to go after the food industry to beat this thing But this America where people set you up, profit and then blame you. My point is you make the most sense so far.

Hi Suzanne – many thanks for your kind words – much appreciated
      Real food/3 times a day/manage carb intake – that’s about it really!
      Very best wishes – Zoe

4. avatar Laurel says:

All diets, when they work at all (not often! obviously!) work by restricting the things people desire the most — sugary or salty “treats”.

Traditional diets (Weight Watchers, etc.) exclude these things because they have too many calories. Low-fat diets exclude these things because they have too much fat content. Low-carb diets exclude these things because they have too many carbs.

So in short, you can “achieve” the ideal results of any diet by simply not eating “sugary, salty treats” (chips, ice cream, candy, soda pop, cookies, cake, french fries, etc.).

UNFORTUNATELY, these are the exact foods that people desire to eat. Nobody desires to eat liver (ugh!)…. brussel sprouts…. tofu….quinoa….oatmeal….broccoli, and so forth.

What is lacking in ALL discussion (from the insane to the absolutely rational) on weight loss is the role that APPETITE and HUNGER and SATIATION play in what people eat.

All the diets I have known, or tried as a weight-obsessed teen and college student, or seen my family members on (most were morbidly obese) were UTTER 100% FAILURES, and in every case, when analyzing (as an ordinary person, not scientifically) “why”, the answer always was “I GOT HUNGRY….too hungry to keep starving and denying myself food (whether protein or fat or carbs, as the human body requires all 3).

If HUNGER foils diet attempts, and the only successful treatment ever devised is the drastic “gastric bypass surgery” (which eliminates hunger by destroying the stomach, and it’s glands for ghrelin, the “hunger hormone”), what does that tell us about the role THE STOMACH plays in making people hungry?

Why do fat people report being MORE HUNGRY than thin people? Even after they eat, sometimes very large amounts of food?

For 100 years, we have tried to argue and pretend and tell fat people “you are not really hungry, so please go eat this very sensible diet and you will lose all the weight” and it has not worked! Heck, it is the reverse of working — it has failed so utterly that 3 times as many people are now overweight or obese!

HUNGER IS REAL. Appetite is real. Satiation (or lack of satiation) is real. Until we address those things, we will continue to fail to cure obesity in any significant percentage of the population.

5. avatar cathy says:

Is popcorn okay to eat in phase 2?

+ 7 = 12